If anyone saw my blog last Thursday, I had a weird experience on the next day--Friday (a week ago today). I had Tai Chi class at 10:15aam. I made sure to arrive early so I could call my sister in NY while I was parked and safe, as I knew by then (3 hour time difference) she would be giving me either good news or bad. Our fear was that he might have had a stroke during the operation, as the Drs. said he wasn't responding to their vocal commands when he woke up (it took 2 1/2 days). He was still very groggy--and was having trouble moving his right elbow and shoulder (fingers were ok). I was trying to be as upbeat and positive as I could for my little sister (by 3 years) who was actually in NY with him. What she didn't know was that I was full of fear, remembering how our Uncle (Dad's brother) had a blocked artery cleaned out and had a stroke on the table. All his words were jumbled up--he would call a pack of ciggaretts a "truck" and got very mad when you didn't know what he meant. He lived the rest of his life like that--and I just couldn't see my father ever being like that. Even though he is 82, he has a body of a 45 year old--has an energy level that runs circles around me..
WELL-just as I parked the car, my cell phone rang--Patty said "He is going to be alright! He is talking, remembering, can walk, etc.just still very drugged up from the anesthesia." It was wonderful news,, but all I could do was sob thankful tears--then I broke out into a full flegged anxiety attack! I could not stop crying--she said she would talk to me when I calmed down...Thank God I was at my Tai CHi class, so my classmates all embraced me and my instructor helped me "come back down" and BREATHE--It took about 20 minutes for me to stop. She said "I think that's a little more than just your father coming out"--I guess all the pent up emotion from the past week worrying about my Dad along with my own stress just exploded like a bottle cap off a bottle. It actually felt great and I happened to be at the best place possible for something like that to happen..Well, he just came home from the hospital yesterday and we are all very excited. He is his old self--joking around about "how much work he has to do and that he just had a "valve job".
I guess that's why I wanted to write about feelings for the classification essay....I sure experienced just about every one you could imagine during that small period of time.
I haven't heard from Josh yet, so I might have to do this on my own.
See you all tomorrow!
Debbie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment